Necessary Things for Trekking in Nepal 

Where do we get Trekking permit?

Trekking in Nepal is one of the popular things to do. Most of the trekkers were here for trekking and some of them only for cities, I would say 70% of people are here for trekking and around 30% for cities. Nepal have two different areas for trekkers special restricted area and non-restricted areas. Non restricted areas trekking permit you can get from Nepal tourism board and TIMS (Trekking Information Management System) you can get from TAAN office. But Nowadays Some of the places you can buy your TIMS card in trekking starting point. Restricted areas permit you most have to issue from organized trekking company. Nepal immigration office will issue this kind of permit in Nepal.


 How do we start Trekking?

Trekking itself it is essentials part. Trekking in Nepal is one of the popular things to do because of Mountain trails and snowcapped mountain all over the northern part. Before your trek you most have to be well prepared in term of safety, culture, restricted zones etc.

While coming by land, what are the entry points?

All travelers are coming to Nepal by land can enter through any of these entry points on the India- Nepal Border side

  • Pani Tanki/Kakarbhitta
  • Raxual/Birgunj
  • Sunauli/Belahiya
  • Rupaidiya/ Nepalgunj
  • Mohana/Dhangadi
  • Banbasa/Mahendranagar, Gaddachauki 
  • Khasa,Liping/ Tatopani on the Tibet, China-Nepal border respectively.

Overland tourists entering the country with their vehicles must possess an international carnet or complete customs formalities.

What are the Air Accesses to Nepal?

Nepal Airlines is the national flag carrier of Nepal with flights to/from Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Bangkok, Doha and Hong Kong. Other international airlines operating from/ to Kathmandu are Air Arabia (Sharjah), Air China (Lhasa, Chengdu), Bahrain Air (Bahrain), Biman Bangladesh (Dhaka), Buddha Air (Paro, Lucknow), China Eastern Airlines (Kunming), China Southern Airlines (Guangzhou), Dragon Air (Hong Kong), Druk Air (Delhi, Paro), Etihad Airways (Abu Dhabi), Fly Dubai (Dubai), GMG Airlines (Dhaka), Gulf Air (Bahrain), Indian Airlines (Delhi, Kolkata, Varanasi), Indigo Airlines (Delhi), Jet Airways (Delhi, Mumbai), Jet Lite (Delhi), Kingfisher Airlines ( Delhi), Korean Air (Seoul), Oman Air (Muscat), Pakistan International Airlines (Karachi, Islamabad) , Qatar Airways (Doha), Silk Air (Singapore), Spice jet (Delhi), Thai Airways (Bangkok) and United Airways (Dhaka) .

how long distance from Kathmandu and other cities/towns from the border towns?


Approx. Distance

(border towns to major cities)

Nearest Railway

Station in India


620 kms

New Jalpaiguri (NJP)


550 kms



280 kms

Raxaul (RXL)


280 kms

Gorakhpur (GKP)

Rupaidiya/Jamuna (Nepalgunj)-KTM

520 kms

Rupaidiya/ Nanpara

Gauriphanta/Mohana (Dhangadi)-KTM

630 kms

Gauriphanta/  Paliya

Banbasa/Gaddachauki (Mahendranagar)


715 kms

Banbasa/ Tanakpur


185 kms

Gorakhpur (GKP)

Sunauli/Bhairahawa- Chitwan

145 kms

Gorakhpur (GKP)


26 kms

Gorakhpur (GKP)

Is there an airport tax in Nepal?

You do not have to pay any taxes in airport. If you have only equipments for trekking.

Do I need a visa to enter Nepal?

All foreign nationals, except Indians, need visas to enter Nepal. Multiple entry visas for 15 days (US$ 25 or equivalent convertible currency), 30 days (US$ 40) or 90 days (US$ 100) can be obtained from any Nepalese embassy or consulate. You can also get a visa on arrival at the Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu or at the Immigration Office at the entry points of Nepal.

Tourist visas can be extended for a period of 120 days at the Immigration Department in Kathmandu or Pokhara.

However, nationals of the following countries will not get visa on arrival at the immigration entry points of Nepal: Afghanistan, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iraq, Liberia, Nigeria, Palestine, Somalia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe. They need to obtain visas from Nepalese embassies or diplomatic missions in their respective countries prior to their arrival in Nepal.

Gratis (Free) Visa for 30 days is available only for nationals of South Asian countries like Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Pakistan and Sri Lanka for the first visit in one visa year (January to December). However, a visa fee is required for its extension beyond the 30 days.

Indian nationals do not require a visa to enter Nepal.

For more information, please click here.


What documents must Indian nationals present at the entry point?

As per the Nepalese Immigration rules, Indian Nationals Traveling to Nepal must possess any One of the following documents-

  1. Passport
  2. Driving License with photo
  3. Photo Identity card issued by a Government Agency
  4. Ration Card with Photo
  5. Election Commission Card with Photo
  6. Identity Card issued by Embassy of India in Kathmandu
  7. Identity Card with Photo issued by Sub- Divisional Magistrate or any other officials above his rank

What is needed to get a visa?

1.  A valid passport 

2.  one passport size photo

Immigration Department has not specified the size of the passport-size photo.  Visa can be obtained only through payment of cash in the following currency: Euro, Swiss Franc, Pound Sterling, US dollar, Australian dollar, Canadian dollar, Hong-Kong dollar, Singapore dollar and Japanese Yen.

Credit Card, Indian currency or Nepalese currency are not accepted for payment of Visa fee.

 What to wear?

 Light, loose garments are recommended in spring (March, April and May) and summer (June, July and August), while woolens and jackets or similar warm clothing’s are needed from November to February.

What is the currency of Nepal?

The Nepalese currency is the rupee and is divided into 100 paisa. Bank notes come in denominations of Rest. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1,000. Coins are of 1, 2 and 5-rupee denomination.

Where can I exchange my money?

 It is illegal to exchange foreign currency with persons and organizations other than those authorized such as banks, hotels and licensed money changers. Nepalese banks do not accept Indian currency of denomination of Rs. 500 and 1000. You will find the exchange rates for different currencies in the Nepalese papers.

In order to exchange surplus rupees at the time of your departure, please retain your encashment receipts.

 Are there ATMS in Nepal?

There are ATMS in Kathmandu, Pokhara and other big cities in Nepal that accept AMERICAN EXPRESS, VISA and MASTERCARD.

Are credit cards accepted in Nepal?

 Major hotels, restaurants and curio shops accept AMERICAN EXPRESS, VISA and MASTERCARD. You can contact the banks for credit card services.

If I run out of money, how do I get access to more funds?

You can draw funds against your AMERICAN EXPRESS, VISA and MASTERCARD cards in Kathmandu. The service premiums for doing this, however, could be high. You can also have money wired directly to Kathmandu through any major bank within two to three working days.

What is Acute Mountain Sickness and how do you prevent it?

Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) is caused by thin air at high altitudes starting from 3, 000 meters upwards and may even lead to death. The main precaution that needs to be taken while trekking is not to go up too high too fast. So the body should be given enough time to acclimatize.

If you suffer from initial symptoms like headaches, shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, inability to sleep, swelling of the face, hands and feet and loss of appetite, descend to a lower elevation immediately, and seek medical help.

How safe is Nepal?

It is safe to take a walk around the city from morning to late evening until the shops are closed. But you are advised not to trek alone. Trekking with a guide from a registered agency is the best security. Do not display your cash or expensive items. Always lock your room and baggage.

The Tourist Police at Bhrikuti Mandap is there to help you with security and travel-related problems. If any valuable item is lost, you can contact the Tourist Police to prepare documents for theft to claim insurance.

Are there public toilets in Nepal?

 Public toilets can be used for a small fee. But visitors are advised to use the toilets at the shopping malls, stores and restaurants which are cleaner.

What is the time difference in Nepal?

 Nepali time is GMT plus 5 hours 45 minutes.

Electricity Voltage

Electricity in Nepal is 230 volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. A voltage converter is needed for a device that does not accept 230 volts at 50 MHz Sockets in Nepal accept only round three or two pins. So if your electrical device uses flat pins, please bring a universal electric plug adaptor.

What are some basic Nepali customs that I need to know?

  • When visiting a temple, always circumambulate it is a clockwise direction.
  • Take off your shoes before entering a temple or a Nepalese home.
  • Entrance to some temples is forbidden, so look out for such notices.
  • Seek permission to take photographs inside temples or of religious ceremonies.
  • You can accept a handshake offered by either a male or a female but never offer your hand first.
  • Show decency in dress and avoid any show of public affection.

How do I get around in the cities and to other destinations?

There are metered taxis, buses, battery-operated three-wheelers and rickshaws in the cities. Long routes are served by buses. Nepal does not have a railway system connecting cities. The only other travel option is by plane, and Nepal is well connected by air.

There are Intercity Tourist Buses to popular tourist destinations like Pokhara, Chitwan and Lumbini from Kantipath in Kathmandu, while you can board a bus to Jiri and Dhunche at the New Bus Park.

How reliable is the post office in Nepal?

The post office is reliable. Express Mail Service (EMS) is available at the General Post Office located at Sundhara near the Dharahara tower in Kathmandu and at Thamel, Basantapur and airport postal counters in the capital. Kathmandu has the only Post Restante of the country.

How are communication facilities in Nepal?

Mobile coverage is wide in Nepal, even in the rural areas. Internet facilities are available in hotels and cyber cafes in all major cities. Apart from the urban centers, popular trekking destinations – the Annapurna and Everest region – also have modern communications facilities.


There is accommodation ranging from 5-star chain hotels, standard hoteland resorts to comfortable lodges in Kathmandu and major tourist destinations. The hotels offer specialty restaurants, conference facilities, exclusive health clubs and business centers. You also have the option of home-stay where you can stay in local houses with the local people and enjoy their traditional food.

What kind of food is available in Nepalese restaurants?

Kathmandu is a melting pot of international cuisine. Dining out is, therefore, a pleasure. The Nepali staple is rice, dal (lentils) and curry. Apart from Nepalese cuisine, there are restaurants serving Continental, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, Italian and Korean food. Fast foods like burgers, pizzas are found everywhere. There are two KFC outlets in Kathmandu.

What souvenirs can I take home?

Popular among visitors are handmade apparels like woolen sweaters, jackets, trousers and caps. And the Pashmina shawl is a highly coveted item. Then there are ethnic and contemporary carpets, gems and jewelry, metal and wooden products, Khukuri (the curved metal knife, music CDs, Nepali paper products, pottery, spices, tea and Thangka paintings to take home.

There are exclusive showrooms at Durbar Marg, Asan, Thamel, Patan and Bhaktapur Durbar Square area which specialize in these items.



What are the different between organizing and Non organizing (solo trekking)?

Yes, there is different between organizing and non-organizing trek. Organizing trek organized by trekking company, they will take risk of their clients and their crews. Guide and potters were with clients and they will feel more safety and secured. Those kind of trekkers get permit and TIMS card which have blue color. Non organizing treks is riskier treks because you do not have locals (guide and potters). All the risk during the trek from low and to high Himalayas you have to take.


What else does the Trekkers do?

Trekkers only allowed to trek in permitted zone when you have permit and TIMS card. Rather than that trekkers can enjoy with local flora and fauna. It not allows to destroyed any things under conservation areas and national park areas.

What documents do I have to submit for Permit?

For the trekking you most have to fill up the form with your details and passport copy and 2 passport sized photographs. For restricted zone you have have to show up your original passport.
How long does this permit work?

Most of the restricted zone permit have limit times such as for a week or 10 days. Non restricted areas permit work for month or so on but you have to mention at beginning.

 How long will it take to get the permit?

Most of the permit for regulars’ areas you can get everyday 10 am to 4 pm but Saturday you can get at 10 – 12 only. For Restricted zone at least you need one working days and original passport. Every Sunday to Friday office will be open but some of the public holidays in between will be closed.

Do I have to pay any for the filming permit in trekking areas?

Yes, if you bring camera only for pictures it’s okay. But if you bring for movies or documentary you have to informed to communication ministry and get a permission from them. Even if you bring camera for trekking you have registered in check post, what kind of camera you have. If you are filming in trekking areas which is covered by national park and conservation areas, you most have to have permision from ministry of communication in Nepal.


 Are there any other expenses?

If you are booktrekking with us, you do not have to pay that extra expenses instead of beverage. If you are doing organizing trek with Mountain rock treks and expedition you do have to other expenses.


How do I need to pay for the location fees?

If you are doing trek with us. You do not have to pay local fees.